Sunday, March 16, 2008

Crafting365: day 19; Doing things I've been putting off...


Writing letters, sending pictures and a flannel blanket.


I've been putting off sending pictures to family. We were out of colored printer ink for the longest time. However, I had gotten some last week and still hadn't printed any pictures out. I'm also sending out some snail mail, thank yous and birthday stuff... it's amazing how it builds up when you put it off.

My mom also wanted me to send her stuff from the toy shop so she might be able to sell them up North. However, I've got MamaMade coming up and really don't feel there are many toys to spare at the moment. I've printed her out some color flyers with pictures of the custom toys and prices so she can show those off to her friends.

Also, I've got to get over some of the other biases I have. Like this flannel receiving blanket with honey jars on it. For days I've been looking at it saying 'That would make a good pair of baby pants for Esme' but telling myself I can't cut it up because Mom sent it when Esme was born. Well, so what? I want to make it a pair of pants so I'm going to. I have no problem doing that to thrift store clothing so why is it an issue when it's a gift from my mom? This is a little thing, but a good example of such attitudes that lead to lots of other bad habits. These habits often get in the way of actually getting done the things I want to get done.


Esme's 'touch' blanket


Just like Esme's large quilt, I was also putting off the idea I had to make her a 'touch' blanket. That is, something with lots of different textures she can feel with her hands. I made this one last night. It has yellow velvet, turquoise and brown courdorouys, linens and thick textured cottons. The back is a 'fake silk' upholstery fabric with little velvet leaves. I'm not sure how it will survive the washer but if I don't try I'll never know, right?


Bunny the pit bull being cute
I need to get the camera out more often when the animals are being cute, too...


btw: Puck is doing so well we have to remind her she can't go off hunting with the others. I walked her this morning and got an almost translatable "Gee Mom, why can't I go play?"

3 comments:

mrspao said...

I'm just catching up with you today - I'm so glad to hear that you found Puck and she is on the mend. She is a beautiful pup.

It's always hard to reshape things which have meaning but I'm sure that those baby pants will become something else. My mum used to make a lot of patchwork quilts out of old clothes and just sitting around with that quilt on reminded me of good times.

Anonymous said...

That touch blanket is such a great idea!

Amby said...

Hi! I'm the other Knit Owl. I think you emailed me a few months ago. I realized I never got back to you! I'm really freaked out by not just our names, but I used to live in Tennessee, I have a muted calico and a tabby cat, and we both have Etsy stores! My friend pointed out that neither of us have knitted items in our shop. ha. Anyway, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm going to add you to my google reader!

-Amby