Monday, November 07, 2011

bits

Mark and I are looking for some Spanish language resources to start Esme on. I found one on Youtube called Bookbox, and watched a few with her last night. I pick up languages fast (Latin, French, Spanish and German teaching books left to me by my dad when I was a kid ;). But to be honest, my pronunciation is terrible (especially on French) because of not having enough exposure to conversation. Sometimes I have bits of French from packaging at work stuck unwanted in my head and I know they are real words - look them up and they mean 'attach piece' (appose partie). I can pronounce German but there is not much use of it here besides the Amish and Mennonites. I listen to them discuss prices and tell their children what they should be doing/not doing and I understand, but could not return a proper sentence without a lot of practice.

Spanish might come more in handy at my plumbing job. I've already had to translate several customers asking for things - usually can muddle it out through my other learning 'cera annillo' means wax ring ;) I don't like the idea of it becoming increasingly hard to get along in this country without knowing Spanish, but if Esme and I can pick up enough of it together and actually use it, then I do see a benefit of having something we both understand that there is enough available for without spending LOTS of money. I think the library might have something for us to use, as well.

In other news - Esme's reading is a bit further than I thought it was. She recognizes a lot of simple words. We used Dolch words preprimer click and say and she really liked that. She got a few wrong, but enjoyed being able to hear it when she clicked it. Then we read Cat in the Hat until she fell asleep, and she knew some of the words again when she saw them. Words I thought she would get like 'ball' were odd when she thought they were something else - but other words like 'down' and 'come' and 'make' she knows when she sees them. I think they are in Starfall.

She also got to paint her airplane and use her new watercolors. She said PLEASE Happy Birthday to me painting? *ha* While she did that I tried to work on my hexagonal frame idea but a hacksaw blade and 1/4 inch sticks just don't want to follow 60 degrees very well. I'll need to either go bigger or find a finer way to measure and cut that angle.

No comments: