Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Wind and Butterflies


I am further amazed by our garden today - I have no pictures of the produce but there is another hearty soup of tomato and shelled beans brewing downstairs. There were a few small green peppers and plenty of green tomatoes to pull and bring inside to turn. There were dried beans of both Shackamaxon and Whipporwill cowpeas and a few beautiful Mayflower beans. The Whipporwills have increased their numbers from 9 seeds planted to nearly fifty saved, and many more eaten. I do think they are a local 'landrace' as they came from Waverly, TN via a now closed Etsy shop. They are almost as constant as the black eyed peas and much easier to collect, peel and save. In other words, I like them a lot ;)



And I was also amazed by the butterflies on the zinnias. Dozens and dozens of them. Just begging to be photographed.



Esme also begged to be photographed ;) The wind was high out there - so she was having a great time playing with the sand but a hard time keeping her hair out of her eyes. That really isn't anything new for her or me.



We also stopped at the Quilting Bee in Camden and Esme got to pick out her fabric for a dress. She picked out a green 1930s reproduction that reminded me of Christmas lights. She was very sweet with the lady there, who was not feeling well with what sounded like a kidney disorder (not a cold/flu type not feel well). She asked the lady very very quietly if she could take a nap on the pretty blanket she showed to her. The lady did not understand, she said it so softly. I told her no, we would have to nap on blankets at home. She then insisted on giving the lady a kiss before we left. That purchase was not part of her birthday money - more Mama's allowance, as we rarely get over there to visit. Esme did get to spend some of her birthday money on a pack of pipe cleaners, pom poms and a big pack of glitter paint in the craft section, and an elephant book. She still has a lot left but was overwhelmed with just those things and wanting to play with them. I will put the rest away for her for a little while and keep it in mind when she asks for something.

On the way home we stopped at an Amish sign for Apple Cider and picked up a jug. Grandma and Grandpa will have to help us drink it. It is very good but Mark says it will not last long. The children there all ran away when we pulled up - but they had button-back dresses and overalls on, and no shoes. Esme was all ready to go with them but I stopped her and kept her by the truck. She really wanted to play with them. The older girl that helped us I am sure would have liked to talk to Esme more but I know they are not supposed to - so I guess it was my own 'formality' that kept back that opportunity. I could hear her German accent when she said 'come Matthew' to one of the younger children. Those words in English and German are nearly identical, but there is different emphasis. Mark said he thought she did want to talk to us more - and that it might not have been such a bad thing to let Esme run after the other children...

//notes//
Since I bought fabric today in Camden I feel I shouldn't do too much in Jackson.... practicality gene kicking in again. Even though I just cut out a dress from the fabric I bought today and am well set to have that sewn this weekend or sooner. Grandma said it wasn't often I got to Jackson.. so should take the opportunity. Rats, because.. she's right. I will enjoy going there and seeing what Esme and Grandma like. I have a red calico fabric in my mind's eye that I have not seen in reality yet. Last time Esme was at that fabric store she picked out the Osaka dress fabric and her red pants which are both still in good use.


zinnias in November



this butterfly seemed to say: 'Whee! I'm an airplane!'
It made me laugh quite a bit when I saw it in the camera queue.

No comments: