Simplicity 5169 (center)
Butterick 2194 (left)
I used most of the pattern pieces out of 8714 (right), with alterations to look like 5169 (center) in the waist and a comparison to 2194 (left) for the size. All of the patterns are 1960-1975.
I trimmed 1/2 inch off of the neckline all around and added a center waist panel that was present in the other pattern, but not in this one. It seemed to be easily addable without any alterations to the main pattern. And it was. The upper sleeve cap from 5194 was compared to the modern sleeve pattern I have been using with Butterick 2194 (a fourth pattern indeed!) to make a long bell sleeve without the center stay gathers. I just couldn't see Esme wearing that actual gathered sleeve in reality -- not practical.
Did this yesterday - still need to put the zipper in at work today and try it on her when I get home. Overall it is the same length and bodice size as the Osaka dress - but it has a dropped waist.. we'll see! I added the ties because she usually needs them to keep the dress comfortably to-form as she moves around at high speeds ;) And Nova (the puppy) will pull on her dress sleeves to lead her around if she doesn't have back ties to grab hold of. The dress sleeves get perforated and Esme doesn't like her sleeves all wet and slobbery. They play often this way 'tug of tails' back and forth across the house.
I only had enough of the flowered fabric for the front of the waist - but it was a good use of a loud fabric. It is called 'Andalucia Earth' flowery fire stripe, by Patty Young.
Today: Got her to try on the red dress today saying Grandma would want to see it. She fussed a lot - because she wanted to stay in her pajamas. She still has a cold and has been fighting Daddy to put on anything but the blanket sleepers lately. I convinced her into it with crying and found that the second sleeve was a little hard to get 'quickly and easily' assembled without asking her for cooperation.
I think the dress would look a little stranger from the back if I gathered the skirt there higher than the skirt in the front - but it would be easier to get that second arm through the waist once she already has her first arm in. I could also extend the back line from armhole to skirt a bit on each side and it would be hidden in the ties without as much change in the look of the garment.
And some pictures of it on - it really moves with her well and she can get into any position (even crawling on the floor pretending to be a puppy) and it does not make her constricted. I do like that about old clothing patterns -- they are 'fancy' but not impractical if chosen well (and properly altered).