Wednesday, August 22, 2012

bits of thought and to do

Esme's speech at school is helping her a lot. She is comparing a lot more things, saying they are too big, or too little, or dirty, or old, or she wants the pink one etc. She asked to buy a cookie store today... which I didn't really understand, but she thought was hilarious and really expected some different kind of answer than what I gave. At once she both confuses me and also makes me know there is so much more in there. One minute she is crying about not wanting to wash her hair for school because it will hurt, and the next she is saying it was not so bad. I get fewer 'meltdowns' about that one as we used to have.. but it is still often a struggle and I end up explaining the entire process three to twelve times until she actually does it... which is better than having to struggle with her physically to get the soap out amongst yelling and tears, which was where we were last year.

Last night she wanted to cut triangles and circles out of paper to bring to her 'ladies' at school. She could put it in her backpack and show it to them and they would say 'wow'. I had to fight her through her bath a little bit more than I have had to lately... but she got through it, and we had enough time to cut some shapes for her teachers. They know what she can do, at least a few of them do - maybe not all of them. She has had worksheets come home some weeks that had cutting and writing and reading on them, and other times it is just coloring and glueing. She says she has to 'show the lady' what she put in her bag today, so maybe there is one in particular that said she was too little for something? Not sure.

I have to go to work today before she gets home from school... and a lot of closings this week. That will be hard on her new bedtime schedule. We have never had 'true bedtime' before - and are starting it now that she has her own room on the other side of the house. We are also working on the morning routine, getting up to her new alarm clock, getting dressed, getting ready to do things. She is excited about and possessive of her new clock, and also the light-up music bear we bought to help her sleep in her room.

On my to do list are more little areas of the house I want to straighten, clean up and organize. I did the toaster/coffee/bread area of the kitchen today - which tends to get little bits of clutter and needed a very good dusting all the way back to under the cabinets. With Esme 'analyzing' I am feeling more of a pinch to try to go a few extra steps in that department.. even though I am awfully busy with many other things. I have her quilt to finish the binding on. I have not done much since I laid it aside the other day to move her bed into the new room. I really should make her a few new pairs of pants, as well... sorted out many things when I moved her dresser in there and she is down to maybe four good school pairs and another four patched and highwater pairs. They don't take too long to make - it is just the setup and dedication of an hour that has gotten me the past month or so... And after the bedroom move my sewing area (which was a skip away from her old 'bedroom' area) is a mess..(even moreso than usual!, which is impressive)... working on that a little this morning, too.

I also need to get the pictures from Esme's new room on my data fob and get them printed out for my mom. She comes home from the nursing home to her house in Minnesota sometime this month. I have not called her on the phone. I really should have - but I don't know what I will 'get'... anger or happiness, an adult or an adolescent... I know that sounds harsh but with her memory problems the past few years and her high diabetic sugars causing some issues, I feel a great amount of anxiety over that. And there is still the anxiety leftover from going to Minnesota and the flood catastrophe, my sister and her daughter for a week in the hotel... all that is over now and I have been a busy bee here trying to make things nice and normal and happy.

No comments: