Saturday, October 22, 2011

Slow bird and worm

First off, very glad to see Grandpa home and hope he is doing well. Mark says he does seem to be. I have tomorrow off but probably will not visiting out of general caution - people at work have not been well, flu and sinuses etc. Grandpa will need his energy and Esme takes much of OUR energy even without recent hospital visits... Take care Grandpa!


McCalls 8001 size 5
'slow' bird caught this worm, one year later!


//Saturday//
Patience paid off... this item is coming in the mail. It was November 2010 when I saw one I really liked but wasn't the right size or anywhere near what I'd pay for it.... I'm very happy thinking about making this coat!

Pants are on the agenda for tomorrow. The fabrics are coming out of the dryer now. The last pants that are not terribly highwater on her were 21.5 inches before they were hemmed at top and bottom... may need to extend that just a tiny bit more... not much, though. Will need to locate my elastic tonight, as well... and see if a trip to town will be needed or not. Miss Judy at work wanted to see Esme again. She could not believe she was that much bigger than she was in March. Oh yes, she is!

Because she can't read yet - I can report here that Esme's birthday and Christmas surprises came in the mail today. They are tiny, but detailed - and she will love them. The day is approaching fast - less than two weeks. I still need to get frosting for her cake, and some paint for another gift. We have plenty of balloons and candles for the cake... maybe another practical gift like more socks. I had a package hidden around here the next size up... can't find it! Will have to look harder. //found// all I had to do was complain loudly to the air.. and the next time I opened the same box - I saw them. ??


//Sunday// Pants! Working on them. I really had enough of everything, so we decided to stay home and keep warm. I am cutting out a trial pair of pants and ready to start piecing them now. I'll want to dig in my stash later and if there isn't something to 'trial' the coat pattern (when it gets here) with I might buy a few yards of plain red fabric. That always gets used here or there, and can combine with the red and white striped fabric I've been keeping stashed.


The pants pattern is Simplicity 6121 (altered for less flare)
same pattern I made her blue coat in July from.


This pattern is different than all of her other pants in that it has elastic only in the back - and a flat waistband up front. That is a challenge -- going to attempt.

I had a very typical - no that is not our child that just did that.. oh yes, it was...type of thought. Typical, for us, in that she is always surprising us. She was playing the new xylophone from Grandma and then she hit two notes in succession that perked my ears. I was cooking around the corner. It perked her ears, too. Then I hear - straight out of a Simpsons episode - dance of the sugar plum fairies followed by 'Maggie - quit that racket!'.. and she repeated that sequence five times before coming and telling me I had to pretend to be Homer so she could 'do it right.' *facepalm* My child. Our child. Who has been watching Simpsons religiously for several years... And she still really likes the idea that she could be Maggie Simpson (she knows how to type that on her computer now and pretends she is Maggie when she types it). She already has an alter ego! And an ear for a tune...

The other one was more fun and normal - she took the xylophone sticks over to me about ten minutes later and looked at me, looked at them... they are round balls with long wooden sticks on them. She pulls her chair stool up to me where I am cutting up vegetables and sits down prim and proper with her knees crossed and holds the sticks with the round ends up and moves them up and down vertically... while adjusting something invisible with one hand every once in a while. She looks up at me and adjusts imaginary glasses. "I'm knitting. I'm knitting a blue dress. See?" Again. My child. imitating me. And making me feel like some Grandma out of a 1940s postcard!

Some days you just have to shake your head.. laugh.. and know she gets it from the both of you.

No comments: