Monday, October 24, 2011

The Case of the Wiley Pants


The pants pattern is Simplicity 6121


I have been heard in public to say that I find making pants boring. This pattern heard me. This was the wiliest pair of pants I ever have tried to sew. Finally, I got them done, after two mistakes - one from being distracted (a big one that took an hour to remedy) and the second was just not interpreting directions properly. They're done. They fit. I see no reason to make a second pair this way at the moment.

So - I cut the doggie fabric out of this pattern, tried and true, used for the past year or so. It took me an hour, where the other took me about four.


Simplicity 7196, copyright 1975


So we are up two pairs of pants, and my next day off is Friday.

Other: // I want to record this as a time when Esme is going more 'abstract.' She is telling me about time, and dreams (10 minutes? when asking when we are going to leave the other morning, first this then that about things she wants to do, 'eat this later' about food she wants to put in the fridge). She told me contents of dreams she has had in her sleep and can recognize when characters in tv shows are 'having a dream', now. We've talked about dreams being in your head, and I also had to explain what it meant "pictures in your brain, when you close your eyes and still see pictures they are in your brain, inside your head". I told her she could remember what strawberries tasted like, it was in her brain even when she didn't have strawberries, or what Nova's ears looked like when she was upstairs... I think she got it, but time will tell. She used the WORD 'dream' today several times, which makes me think she did get it.

She is also understanding a lot more of what Mark and I are saying to each other (when she lets us talk - have to work on that). She is picking things up everywhere - and using them, and we are having to stop and realize we understand what she said, it was very 'pat on' and maybe we have to sit down and have a talk about it. And she understands what we explain to her better than before, as well. Also - she is picking things up like imitations (started imitating MY imitation of Mickey Mouse, then told me it sounded more like Itchy and Scratchy), dance moves she sees on Youtube just for a few minutes, and imitating other things like a flyswatter end put through her hair tie to pretend she had an arrow in her head (like a cartoon, she said) and a xylophone stick on top of her head and beeping to pretend she was an alien baby out of another cartoon.

No comments: