Saturday, October 15, 2011

here and there weekend

I have the weekend off, and a lot of closing shifts next week. Maybe I'll get more done, but probably not. I had a headache to beat the band yesterday, that had started the day before. I'm feeling okay today but not as ambitious as usual. We might go to town and we might just stay home and loll (which for me, always is more.. but I have to work myself up to it). Esme is watching 'Tarzan' for about the twentieth time since we bought it for her last week -- our brains might explode if we watch it much more! I've already caught myself humming the music to her while I am sewing, making food etc... and she catches on and starts to sing 'mama monkey and baby boy' song.

QUOTES and birthday prep

That is a toy car, a baby toy car, it is so cute! (tiny smart car in parking lot). I want to go to that house, the happy birthday house, PLEASE?? We go there find toys, go happy birthday. (dollar tree store across the road, where we bought a balloon for another girl last month) I told her I would wash a dress that was put away and see if she had grown into it, maybe she could wear it for Christmas - and she said 'Santa give it pretty dress to me? For Christmas tree? WOW, let's wash it. (so innocent!) I want to share it with you, we be rabbits, you eat some and I eat some, it not so bad! (it not so bad??? we bought new french bread and this was the end of the old loaf we were going to split out for lunch).

Mark and I sent in the order for Esme's birthday/Christmas items from Amazon. I am getting her the Pocoyo toys she actually pointed out she wanted on the screen - and anything else will just fall into place as the events arrive. She is such a happy and easygoing child - she doesn't expect tons of things and actually would probably be thrilled with one wrapped item, a bunch of balloons and birthday candles. We are lucky parents to have a little personality like this... I know it won't last like that forever and don't want to take advantage of it too much, either.



HOMESCHOOL:

I made paper dolls for Esme last night as part of our projects. I made her a fireman and a dog with a water hose to go put out a fire in a building. Then she said the dog got hurt - so I made her a doctor/nurse figure with a bag that came and fixed the dog's foot. Then she said there were people in the building, so I made her a little girl for the fireman and the doctor to save - then they all had to have pizza.

Playing with such things and listening to her talk about painting while I was sewing, it makes me more confident there are lots of homeschool things we can work on over the next two years. She won't be the age they want for Kindergarten for another year or two... And although she is on the verge of reading now, and understands a lot of logic games - we can learn about like plants, animals, jobs, how to build things and how things are made... and on the way her language will continue to naturally get more complex. Every morning and when I get home from work she comes up to me now with the request 'I want to talk talk talk to you you you Mama, I'm thinking... (painting/cereal/monkeys/do exercises) etc...' She is really reveling in the homeschool idea as Mama spending lots of time with her doing fun things. And she is saying more 'Esmespeak' that I have to stop and try to translate. ie: She told me I 'missed a spot' on her dress ties this morning because they were hanging looser than usual... so I tried to explain I just didn't tie them 'all the way'... that was a five minute discussion explaining what I was trying to explain. *shakes head* And at the same time I found her at my computer screen a few minutes ago pointing out letter after letter and having no idea what the words said.. but she wants to learn why I do this and what it all means.

SEWING:


Sherbet Pips fabric
puppy dogs in blue


I have a yard of this coming in the mail from my sewing rec money. Esme picked it over the gray, which I was considering. She has a good eye, because the blue was half-price for a full yard and I was knowing a half-yard wasn't enough but not wanting to spend more than that. She's a good helper ;) The reason I was looking at the lavendar gray was that she has so many blue things already... hmm.

I finished my second tunic shirt last night. I am very happy with how this pattern has worked out - it is a smash-together of this jacket pattern (recent) and the following vintage tunic shirt pattern. The sleeves set in very easily and I 'make do' for not having enough fabric by splitting the front horizontally.


recently published M5298 McCalls (a few years old)
The drawstring pants I've made several pairs of came from this, too


I started with such a large pattern size 14, because my shoulders and arms are much larger than what is 'average' for my chest and waist size. That has made it difficult to find clothes off the rack that fit well enough in the arms without having large drapes of material about the waist.


8340 Simplicity tunic shirt, 1977


Combining the shoulder and arm width of the upper pattern with other details of the smaller pattern, I end up with something in between. The sleeves set in like the jacket, with a different armscye shape. Adding ties at the sides draws some of the material to the back but still allows me to get my shoulders up into the garment. It still needs work particularly in the neckline and the back lower armhole needs 'something' to not pull when I cross my arms across the front.

No comments: