Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dragon eat Esme and jacket

The finished jacket. I used the same grey fabric I did on Esme's dress, and some brown Joel Dewberry fabric I had been keeping in reserve for the collar, facings and cuffs. There are things to be improved upon, as always. The size of the pattern was a 14-20 (I'm usually a size 10 to 12 depending on the cut, way up from size 6 before Esme was thought of, but I was underweight then!) I cut the size 14 and then did some creative tailoring (some of it with scissors purely by eye alone) to size down the shoulders and etc to my size while keeping the sleeves larger. I really needed the larger sleeve size for the biceps I've earned at this new job moving heavy plumbing fixtures and operating the cherry picker at work. I still could have used to alter the waistline down even more... but it is very casual and easy to wear, even while moving such items -- so for handmade that is a good accomplishment!

Also I splurged for a dragon toy Esme hugged. Usually that is a lot more than I would get for her (she might not keep affection for it once we get home) and I would instead try to make one for her... just after this picture the dragon was offered two cars to eat and a cup full of toys later as well.


This is at the top of our staircase where the dogs sleep on an old blanket. I bought some more stash fabric (yes I know.. I know!) including something in the wash for another dress for Esme. I did a lot of laundry the other day and somehow she has ended up wearing the exact same outfit as the other day... what are the chances of that? I tend to put the clothes on her I think fit best at the time.. so as soon as it is washed it's likely to go on at the next change. In fact, it's also almost time to get rid or or alter the dresses I made in November. Mark suggested I change the sleeves on them (the part that is getting too short) and get the summer out of them before they go into a box for the future. I could very very easily make them short sleeve dresses instead of 3/4 which they are at the moment.

No comments: