Thursday, September 14, 2006

Advice please?

Knitting: I've been putting a row or two on my Theatre Shawl whenever possible - and now, when I put it around my shoulders, the tip of it is about 3 inches up from my waistline. However, it is getting to the point where it wants to pop off the circular needle I have it on - and I did want to keep knitting on it.

Any advice that doesn't include buying a longer (or another) circular needle?
I have the option to make a KnitPicks order,
but didn't want to be waiting on a needle to come!

Another cute pic from our work server.
The puppy's name is Puck, she is half dachsund and half terrier.
That might give you an idea how small Squint was here too!

Squint update: He came through his vet appointment with flying colours - although he had to apologize for nipping the assistant when they were playing. He licked her hand afterwards and squeaked at her. Kellen and Randy say they love him and that he is playing, snuggling and crashing out on their laps. We do miss him around here - our boss is also enjoying hearing how Doria's baby has found a family that loves him so much!

Coding World: I've been working at generating archives and an archive fetching system for one of the computer websites we consult with. They need generated calendars that keep the archives accessible - but use little CPU-time when hit by over 40,000 people. I've been up to my ears in Python (strf.time - friend or foe?), cgi forms and generated HTML. I've been trying to get them to solidify what they want, before I make my program any more specific than it is... which sometimes getting everyone to agree can be as hard as programming the job!

9 comments:

mrspao said...

Great photo! I'm so glad to hear Squint is getting on so well.

You're a braver woman than me with Python - Java is my limit!

RheLynn said...

MrsPao: Java is nothing to sneeze at! I see more similarities between Java and Python than my 'old' language, LPC-Pike. If you do GUI than I doubly tip my hat to you! I've still to try my hand at using Python AND OpenGL - although I've harnessed it to POV-Ray, resulting in some interesting mathematical graphics!

**bravely starts another row on the shawl**

Chris said...

Probably a longer needle is the only thing that will work, alas....

I have no idea what you and MrsPao are talking about. :)

Rhiannon said...

So good to hear that Squint is doing well! It is fantastic to find such a loving home!

Probably longer needle, Is there some sort of two circular needle solution for knitting something flat?? I guess only an option if you have another of the same size.

Lynn said...

Oh RheLynn the puppy is cute.
And of course we all will miss squint.

My girlfriend had a mix like that and they called her a Teradactyle. LOL

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry to tell you that I think there's no way around getting a longer needle. :-(

Glad Squinty is settling in so well!

Kelly said...

You could maybe get really creative and use a piece of tubing and a spare double point. This really make sense in my head but I am not sure if it would actually work.

Obsidian Kitten said...

yay for Squint! I'm so delighted he's found such a great home. He deserves it! ANd what a great pic of him...

Are you and Mrspao speaking Mandarin? Finnish? Ancient Greek? Martian? What was that bit about Point-of-View rayguns? That sounds cool!

lol

RheLynn said...

Close O'Kitten: POV-Ray stands for Point of Vision Raytracer, and can be found free to download at povray.org It is cool -- very cool. But it takes soome dedication and math manipulation (and in some cases, brain manipulation) to make things without an 'external modeller'

Back in 1998 I programmed pure text in POV-Ray to make cities and scenes for a place called 3DNation - I was one of the administrators. We had challenges, groups and chats.

I really should try POV again this weekend... if I get some time maybe I can make something cool again ;o)