Friday, April 16, 2010

Sew Many Ideas : searching for local fabrics

Found a new fabric store in Jackson - has a lot of good choices. It's called Sew Many Ideas. They offer custom sewing lessons for 15.00 an hour, reservations in advance. They prefer Bernina sewing machines, but can bring in your own machine if you know how to use it well (they can't answer any questions how to use other brands.. marketing etc.)

Anyway. Got some pretty blue 'dandelion ball' fabric at SMI and a yard of duckie fabric at the Hobby Lobby (Esme calls it nana nana nana nana quack quack) All of her ducks swim to the tune of JAWS. haha. I promised her a pair of pants out of the ducks. Also bought a few purple fat quarters to go with a purple solid I dug out of my stash. I think I made a pair of shorts out of it before for another little girl. I've sewn up several pairs of shorts for Esme but they're not really photo worthy - they work and wash and wear well and look just like her pants but half as long ;)

The "party dress" I bought last week at the flea market fit very very well. It was fifty cents - and labelled a size I didn't think I could wear. So.. that felt nice! The only downside is that it is very thick fabric. I'm trying to take a pattern off of it but it takes a lot of room to do that. I think I got a basic bodice copied from it but didn't continue on to the skirt and haven't gotten back to it since then. I don't have any parties to wear it to, but it felt nice to look like a pretty lady (which is what Esme said when I was wearing it... except I think she said pretty Daddy... hmm. 8^)

Thouhts on local fabric stores

Hobby Lobby :
pros decent consistennt prices and lots of prints with 'punch'
cons the things without 'punch' are forgettable, as they are the same price but just like what could be gotten anywhere.
Hancock Fabrics :
pros Lots of blenders and colors, priced adequately (usually) and separated by color and type - which is good!
cons Their clearance sales used to be more exciting - but other than that this is mostly 'pro'
WalMart :
pros Open every day - closeby, has some reliable stock and some rotating clearance stock that makes me check it often.
cons few new interesting things. keep getting reminded 'they're talking about discontinuing fabric here'
Local Quilt Stores :
pros they're closeby and it is an adventure seeing what they have right now in stock - get to feel the fabrics otherwise usually would only see on Etsy.
cons : Each store is limited by the taste of who runs it - so finding one that has a wide variety of general sewing fabrics (solids, blenders, kids prints and designer collection prints) is hard - it just doesn't pay for them to carry all of that at once at an accessible price.

Haven't been in JoAnns in years - there just isn't one near enough. Would like to see one nearby. Also I would love to get my hands on a few yards of the 'linen like solids' they advertise on their website but I don't want to pay shipping!

No comments: