Thursday, February 26, 2009

We went to a story hour at the library

Esme and I just got back from our first library story hour in town. I already wish we could go back next Thursday but I have to work. This is the first 'real' time she has been with other kids, that doesn't include passing in a hall or cart etc... she got to be down on the floor playing and interacting with kids up to age 6. Seeing her interact for that short hour was amazingly informative. I'm her mommy and I learned a lot more about Esme watching her interact with other children.

Things I noticed: She's not shy, not AT ALL. Where several children clung to their mommies she was all over babbling at kids and their mommies and having a grand time during the play hour. After a bit she would find me and hug me or ask me to pick her up for a second then want down again.

She was also larger physically than a lot of children whose mothers said they were 18 months or older. There were many children smaller than her but they were all older than her. I didn't think Mark and I were that much bigger than other people around here -- so what's going on there? Is she just going to be tall for her age?

She loved the singing so much - stopped in her tracks fascinated by it and tried to dance and clap along. She didn't like the 'sit down and let's all read' time -- wanted to run around and squeal so I took her to the puzzle corner where she tried to talk to two little girls and passed puzzle pieces back and forth.

We will have to learn to be quiet -- never an issue at home because there isn't that many times she is ever 'noisy' In the midst of ten to twenty kids though she was so excited she couldn't keep quiet or still.

We have to do this more -- the mothers there were all accomodating to her and I think with some more time she would settle down and begin to enjoy the activities.

There was one older girl carrying her toy pony around and she came and showed it to Esme several times. Esme already is halfway understanding not to take it away but wasn't sure why the girl kept showing it to her if she couldn't have it. Esme took a rattle that was lying near a baby's car seat and the mother said she could play with it but I'm not sure how to teach her not to do that, especially since there are lots of community toys that belong to the library. She was very happy and bubbly over the two babies that were there - leaned over one and made babble noises.

When it was craft time she finally threw a temper tantrum because I kept telling her to stay and play with the paper when she wanted to run. Daddy came in about this time so we decided it was time to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I am glad to hear it went so well. We are trying to do more things like this also.

mrspao said...

Aww how lovely.