Monday, February 02, 2009

Updates

Esme is 15 months old in two days. She is 30.5 inches tall now but still hasn't gained a lot more weight. She is in a size 6 toddler's shoe. She runs all the time like the Energizer Bunny so it's no wonder everything she eats is burned right off. She walked all the way up to Grandma's house by herself yesterday - which is a feat for someone with legs that short! She goes through stages of being not very hungry and wanting to eat everything in sight. She has more teeth in the back now but I haven't taken count for a while.

Big updates in the talking department: Instead of crying in her bed in the morning to get us to wake up she has started to babble and even call Dada and Daddy and rarely Mumum. I'm still not sure if Dada means Mama or if she is just getting confused with the names.

She has started saying 'Hi', and a few 'halfwords' like 'Idid' and 'Datat' which mean 'I did something/got something' and 'read something/do something for me' respectively. It's hard to tell, because the words are only recognizable because she keeps saying about the same thing. She'll throw a book at me and say 'Datat' and five minutes later throw her shoe at me and say the same 'word'! She also says 'chain' or some likeness of it sometimes when I ask her if she wants a diaper change. The other day I sang 'She'll be Coming around the Mountain' to her and she started to chime in trying to repeat bits of it.

She has started calling us from across the room loudly shouting 'Daddy' and even calling the dog 'Doggie.'

She has started throwing things overhand really well, as well as kicking and playing with her rubber kickball all by herself.

She understands 'put on' for putting on clothing and will help me more by holding on to me and putting her legs into pants, balancing on one foot to put on a shoe or sock etc...

She really likes the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics toy - it's cool to see her put the pieces in by herself and then dance to the song.

I've been showing her toothbrushing videos on Youtube and she wants to brush my teeth but doesn't want the toothbrush near her mouth. I'm hoping she'll catch on to it because she fights terribly if Mark or I try to force her.

I've finally found some barrettes that actually stick in her hair, so her bangs are out of her eyes now.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Glad you liked the Leapfrog toy. Piper enjoyes playing with hers, but now she turns it off all the time. We still struggle with brushing teeth too. She likes to chew on the bristles, and steals our toothbrushes out of the bathroom. It's a fight to brush her teeth myself though.