Friday, February 27, 2009

Childrens Songs

The singing at the library got me to trying to remember the songs I sang as a kid and also the ones Esme has heard often from me during her life. I found the versions of at least one song I remember was very shortened from the original!

Froggy went a courtin
Froggy went a courtin and he did ride uh-huh uh-huh

Froggy went a courtin and he did ride uh-huh uh-huh

Froggy went a courtin and he did ride, sword and pistol by his side, uh-huh uh-huh


Froggy went a courtin and he did ride uh-huh uh-huh

Froggy went a courtin and he did ride uh-huh uh-huh

Froggy went a courtin and he did ride, got himself a fine mouse bride, uh-huh uh-huh



That's all I can remember from when my mom and grandma would sing that particular song - but apparently it is a ballad with over 170 verses, only one of them being like the first one I remember. Personally after listening to Bob Dylan's version I like the one my relatives sang better.

Also, 'My Bonny Lies over the Ocean', 'Alouette', 'Frere Jacque (Brother John)' and 'She'll be Coming round the Mountain.'

The last one there is Esme's favorite - only because it calms her down. It was one of the songs I sang her at bathtime when she was newborn and I think the repetition made her respond to it best out of all of them.

She'll be coming round the mountain, when she comes (when she comes)

She'll be coming round the mountain, when she comes...

She'll be coming round the mountain, she'll be coming round the mountain, she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes (when she comes)


She'll be riding six white horses, when she comes (when she comes)

She'll be riding six white horses, when she comes...

She'll be coming round the mountain, she'll be riding six white horses, she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes (when she comes)


And we'll all go out to see her when she comes, (when she comes)

And we'll all go out to see her when she comes...

She'll be coming round the mountain, she'll be riding six white horses, and we'll all go out to see her when she comes (when she comes)


I've heard there are a lot more verses to that song too but that is the version I remembered being sung to me and as a little kid trying to remember where to put the new part when we got to the refrain.

No comments: