Sunday, January 13, 2008

First bottle

Esme drank her first successful bottle today. You might ask 'first bottle at 2 months?' but I've been working on her every once in a while to get to this. Eventually she'll start teething, so this is necessary training for both of us!

I washed a new bottle in the dishwasher last night in anticipation and when she napped this morning I got the breastmilk ready and the bottle pieces boiling. Then I put it all together and woke her up. I held her on the bed across my knees (not against my chest) and tried the bottle. IMHO The NUK nipples work much better than the 'classic' baby nipple style. I was having troubles at first, though. She wouldn't take the nipple for more than a second before spitting it out. Then she would get frustrated and cry as if she wanted it back. I finally realized I had the nipple upside-down in her mouth. NUK bottle nipples have an 'up' and 'down' just like NUK pacifiers do, but they aren't marked the same way the pacifiers are.

Esme did finally understand though. After I got it right-side-up she drank nearly the whole thing. However, the whole time she was staring at me with strange eyebrows like 'You're SURE about this? Something is wrong here *frown* well at least there is some milk...'

I wonder if I can keep her taking at least one bottle feeding a day...?

No comments: