Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Ginger Garlic Guajillo Zante barbeque sauce


ZANTE currant 'vindaloo' barbeque sauce

1 large guajillo chile, dried - this is a fruity chile that smells almost like raisins - or zante currants, which I also ended up putting in this recipe.  I keep the Zantes for my welsh biscuits (bara brith or welsh cakes).

So this recipe asked to keep the seeds from the chile, but cut off the top, and take out the spine/veins and tear the chile into one inch pieces.  Place in the microwave in enough water to cover and steam for a minute, then time it for 3 to 5 minutes to soften.

spice mix from the vindaloo last night - cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom pods, pepper, salt, paprika, ground cloves.  I put all the rest of what I had from those in the mix, probably about a tablespoon plus a bit of the entire mixture.

1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of cider vinegar, some salt, about a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut up, about 4 to 5 small partitions of garlic, peeled and cut up.  Combine all that with the chile and the water from it and bring it to a boil - the more 'syrup' you want the sauce the less water from the chile to add.

I brought that all to a boil and then reduced it to about '2', enough to bubble but not enough to roil.  Mostly covered, cooked at '2' for about thirty minutes stirring often.  Then I put in two handfuls of Zante currants and cooked it again for about ten minutes.  Poured it all up in a glass jar and let it cool down for several hours.

Then I put it through a food processor and spooned out the really large chile and cardamom pods that didn't process.  Next time I will take the cardamom through a coffee grinder before I add it to the spices - I just mashed it for a while with the mortar and pestle this time but it wasn't enough even with cooking, a couple of them still were there at the end.

This was a sweet, fruity, hardly any heat 'bbq' sauce taste.  I drizzled it over some rice and pork I had set aside and it was wonderful.  Definitely will use the rest of it on my remaining rice, and will be making more like it in the future.


Vindaloo dry spices :

1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tabelspoon paprika
1/2 tsp salt
6 cardamom pods, pulverized (better ground)
1 tsp ground cloves

I think I used about half of this in the vindaloo last night (with wet ginger and wet garlic, and two chiles, prepared as above steamed in a little water but with the seeds thrown out) and then a splash of cider vinegar, no sugar, a little peanut oil in the pan with some onion until clear, add precooked meat, cook for a minute, add the sauce, reduce heat and let it steam until the water is absorbed enough.. that was pretty good over rice.. but this sauce was even BETTER

No comments: