Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday day off

It was nice to have a day off to work on a project, wear handmade clothes and drink coffee with no where to go.  Esme played Minecraft on my computer most of the day.  I decided against a dress for her - which I know I will get to anyway another day - and began a more ambitious project  I hope I have the mental wherewithal to keep up with it.  Because of that, I chose a pattern simple to accomplish, but intriguing enough not to be swept away for more interesting things.

Quilt work

I guess I would call it a variation on a log cabin block
There is a similar (but larger) block at this page here/

The pattern that I saw in a magazine was a square with small strips sewn on one side larger and larger, then repeated as patches in a quilt.  But, that seemed to difficult to keep the sizing up with.  I sat down at my sewing machine to see what would come out, and this pattern seemed more natural for me.  I am deciding if it will be 14x18 or 16x24...  neither one is part of the Fibonacci sequence so Mark says it is up to me.  Ha.  I tried, but I am limited by the practical knowledge that it has to fit our bed - and I need an even ratio as well.  The lighter grey is an old shirt of Mark's, the darker grey leftover from a jacket of mine, and several of the other bits are either old clothes of Esme's or plain color fabrics I have used in her projects before.  The white muslin ties it all together.

In other news: I pulled the Shackamaxon beans in from the garden to dry  The Kenearlys are still out there hopefully they might develop a bit more  I will need to make Esme a few more long sleeved dresses.  I won a yekciM esuoM pirate ship for her birthday - hopefully it will arrive by then! 

No comments: