Saturday, October 22, 2005

Slipper pattern and a stubborn cat



I'm trying hard to finish Mom's slipper-socks. Does it take everyone a week to make a pair of socks? I feel like such a slowpoke. This is even in worsted weight yarn, that should be quicker, right?

In the meantime, I am already planning to make another pair of these. Maybe the second pair will go faster. I have written down some of the changes to the 'recipe' that I made. I am using the Socks101 instructions - but making a short, loose slipper out of it.

My mom and I both wear a size 10 women's shoe, which is large! So, if this slipper size in worsted weight yarn looks big... it probably is ;o) Here is the pattern, in my unschooled pattern-writing structure.

Slipper Pattern
built on Socks101 instructions

Worsted weight yarn, size 4? dpns. Cast on 48, split to 3 16s.
Top, 2 rows of garter stitch.
K2P2rib, continue until count 12 stockinette stiches.
Split 22 for heel (wide heel), work 22 rows, turn heel.
Pick up 14 stitches at sides. Work one round.
*Decrease 1 st at each side of heel, knit around*
Repeat * until the # of stitches on the side needles are 15.
Decrease again.
Knit around 27 rows.
Start toe decreases.
Graft off when each needle has 15 stitches (boxy, roomy toe).


My mom said no pointy toes... I hope she likes these boxy ones.

We have two new bookcases to put up this weekend. Cheap ones, from Wal-Mart. We had six of them at the apartment in Fargo, but lost all the pins when we went to put them back up here. A new set of pins cost almost as much as a new bookcase! (go figure) Hopefully once we can unpack some of the boxes of books we will find the one the old pins got thrown into.

Six months and we still 'live like monks!' (quote from someone we know)

Does anyone out there speak Cat?
I really need to learn how to say
'Keep your Butt OFF the Stove or Else!'

Our kittens are 6 months old in November. Willow is as stubborn as a mule. Once I tell her three times about something she understands that it's wrong... but if she wants to do it, she keeps doing it (and runs like the wind if I catch her at it). Lately I can't keep her out of the teapot on the stove - she just has to get into it and stick her whole head in...because she can. If one of the other burners had been on she would have to learn the 'paws burn' lesson twice! ***frustrated***

1 comment:

Shelly said...

You might try keeping a spray bottle of water handy and squirt Willow when she exhibits behaviour that you find unacceptable or dangerous. That's what I do with our kittens and it's quite successful.

Shelly, knitter and owner of two cats.

http://theyarntart.blogspot.com