Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Peaches and Corn

Esme loves fresh peaches. We bought some at the grocery store yesterday and she was gaga about the idea then - and even more so when she got a whole one cut up for her on a plate. She ate it all, making yummy noises all the time. I put some canned peaches in her cereal this morning and put the syrup in her cup with some water - she loved that too.

We also bought fresh sweet corn, just a few ears. Esme watched me 'open corn' and I tried to explain it was the same as what we bought in cans - but this was what it looked like right after they took it off the 'corn tree.' She understands 'tree' - I know she does, but she didn't understand corn plant, so I said tree and saw that register better. She ate some right off the cob (after I washed it) and thought it was excellent. She didn't think it was quite as good after cooking - but after a bit tried to eat some of it and eventually lost her cob to the cat. The corn bits we shaved off half the cob she didn't want much of, but ate some. They weren't as novel as the ones on the cob. It's funny she thought they were two different things even though they taste the same.

I slept till eight-thirty this morning and it feels like I slept till noon! That is because I've had so many early early mornings this week. Have another one tomorrow. Hope to get some ambition to start on something while she is watching Muppets with Daddy. She asked for them specifically, as well as for the blue pinafore she is wearing. Daddy says she's getting demanding about what she wears lately - sorts through everything until she finds what she wants and cries if we put something else on her. I said I'm just responsible for making the clothes - not for which ones she is going to like best.

Still reading 'The Road', but only at work. The world there is so desolate it is too sharp of a contrast against my home, but works well in the white and quiet breakroom at work. I feel so much for the characters - want to always leave them 'safe' and in a good place before I have to go back to work. Yesterday I stopped reading ten minutes before the lunch was up because they had found a good place and were safe... Because it is a father and child I think it plucks my heartstrings more now that I have Esme and I always want to keep her safe...

THRIFT STORE: Found Esme a 'Fisher Price Main Street' with about half of the cars and people and signs in it. Less than 5 bucks! WOW. She thinks it is a very cool toy and so do we. I also picked up a stack of patterns as they had some new ones I hadn't went through before. Yes - just yesterday I was saying I could work up almost anything I need to - but for a quarter apiece it is nice to have them to hand and there is a lot of 'art collector' quality to it for me at times... I like to look at the pictures and read through the instructions and see when in time that style was popular etc..

No comments: