Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Fabric bonus and pattern thoughts

Received some bright polycotton solids and a bit of other assorted fabric from a lady at work today. This was a bag she had laying in a craft room and stumbled across it. It is all in good condition - and I promised I'd see what I could do with it. There is a nice piece of long white curtain fabric that is almost exactly like the fabric on the sleeves of Esme's last shirt.

I have been looking through old patterns again on the Internet. It is sad I can think through what most of the adjustments would be from patterns I already own. Well, not sad for me, just for the pattern seller! A few of those also show the pattern pieces from the back of the envelope - which feels like cheating ;) I saw a child's sundress with huge pockets someone wants 15.00 for as 'antique.' They showed the pattern pieces and I am going to try to work it up using of my other patterns as a base. Esme would love the pockets!

Not a whole lot else today - had to work very early and we did grocery shopping after work. Esme was extremely good at the store. We had supper but she didn't want to eat much. I have tomorrow off.. and maybe Esme will stop running full speed tonight long enough for me to start a project ;) Yea, right haha.

1 comment:

Jana said...

You should check out a book called "The Tailor's Pattern Book 1589". I love doing historical reenactment dresses and it is hard to find good patterns that will make the dress you want. This book came to mind when you said that it felt like cheating by using photos of the pattern pieces to make a dress. This old book that is in reprint was published in 1589 and has detailed drawings of what the pattern pieces looked like with a description of the dress but no drawings of the finished project. I showed it to my mom and she said that tailor's were often very secretive of the methods they used in producing garments and what the finished result would look like. I got the idea that I could use the book to make doll clothing to find out what these dresses would look like if I made the real thing. I haven't managed to get around to doing that but I love the book and use it to make people think of the possibility. If people want to take photos of the pattern pieces and post them they can't blame others for using that public information to create their own projects. Go for it.