Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Unprinted pattern and choo-choos

I had the day off, and we went to town for a few things. I had a mail pickup to get - a 1946 unprinted pattern for footed pajamas. Wow. This was before they printed and folded patterns. An actual person cut this pattern with scissors, piece by piece using some hardbody template - and then carefully folded it into an envelope with printed instructions, which someone else bought and stored for 70 years. Now I'm unfolding it on my desk, in close to perfect condition. Mind boggling.

It does remind me some of the drawing paper and newspaper patterns I make when I am altering patterns or making them up -- except on an industrial scale.

At the WM Mark went to look some movies while I took Esme around the fabric department. She identified horsies and kitties and birds and apples and bees.. and then fell in love with a choo-choo fabric. I have it in the washer and intend to make some pants out of it. She has been insistent about seeing the choo-choo on Starfall lately as well... I was very surprised she put the horse and cat fabric down as soon as she saw the trains. Is this my Esme?

She is so cute at the store - saying 'hi' to everyone, counting the aisle numbers out to me and identifying as much as she can (that boy has a zip-zip jacket, I see oranges, I see chips!) etc... She cried loudly though at the bank (earlier in the trip) because she didn't get a sticker. Right now she is brushing Daddy's hair and doing a halfway decent job of it. A moment ago she was flying her little airplane around by the wings and saying 'fly fly.'

Hope to get more done on the size 5 dress later today...

No comments: