Sunday, February 21, 2010

feeling like green

I went to Mockingbird Threadworks on Friday afternoon, and bought a few green fabrics to make Esme another dress. Yes, before I even put the size 5 together. What? Why? I really wanted another color green. I didn't need it - but I had the fabric itch.. to go and feel the fabric in person and compare colors. I had tried it online and just felt like I wasn't getting inspired or anywhere else either. Maybe I'm flaking out ;) The store only had a quarter yard of the fabric I really really liked. I bought another yard of something coordinating and hope I'll get a size 4 out of combining the two. The darts are finished in the front of the size 5 and I've been taking little scraps of blue fabric to work to make into cats on my lunch hour... cutting freeform and not following any pattern -- just to keep my mind active.

Also on Friday Mark helped me take the sewing machine apart again and find where it was squeaking. I ended up cleaning it quite a bit again, too. It now runs without any squeaks... which is a little eerie considering how I've gotten used to at least some noise from it! Three in one oil is a wonderful tool.

Esme had such fun playing 'tea' and petting the ceramic kitty at the store. Jean, the owner, was really genuine in her interactions with Esme. She talked to her and listened to her and showed her books and agreed things were pretty. Between Mark and Jean I actually took a breath and looked at all the fabrics I wanted to before making a choice - sometimes I usually feel I must rush and settle for something so as not to spend so much time... ie: give the toddler a chance to throw a fit when Mom's attention is elsewhere etc... you know how it goes. Mark and Jean talked with Esme and I wasn't afraid she would start getting into things she shouldn't under Daddy's watchful eye. It turns out Jean also did the hat monogram for the baseball hat Mark wears everywhere. She worked years ago at the store that made the specialty monogram - and still had a copy of it in her computer files... *whoa*... I guess unique makes for memorable.

I feel bad I won't go more often to the store to buy - especially since it is right there in Huntingdon. She does carry more 'seamstress' and children's designer fabrics than the other quilt shop in Camden does. That is the main reason I've been there three times in a few months... and do plan on returning, but only when I really get the itch to touch, compare and find a fabric I can't get anywhere else and don't want to wait for/pay shipping. She has a small shop, but definitely a treasure and one I hope stays in our community.

No comments: