Saturday, June 23, 2007

Achy Knees

Thanks for all the nice birthday wishes everyone!

Not enough change on the belly chart this week to make a new line - but the baby has been kicking stronger and at more regular intervals.

While I escaped morning sickness, the 'pregnancy achy joints' has hit me. I wake up three or more times at night with my hips and knees aching and feeling creaky. Sometimes turning over is enough to go back to sleep, but this morning I got up at 4 am and didn't go back to bed. Being still for hours at a time really does a number on them. I looked at some other mothers on pregnancy bulletin boards and apparently there is no exact 'right amount of activity', too much makes them hurt, too little makes them hurt.

I've also been working on a few new toys for the softie shop. I haven't had a stuffed creature to put up there for so long - and I still have some that need good homes.

We got one tomato out of the garden today! There will be more in about a week.

More Baby News

And now some good news! My brother and his wife are also going to be having a baby, next spring. Before their son was born they lost a little girl - so they are hoping . Of course, their little boy (8 years old) is definitely wanting a little brother. So, we'll see ;)

The somewhat-good or I'm-not-sure news... My mom is buying a Winnebago to come down here with when I have the baby. She said on the phone 'I can come down when you have the baby and stay as long as you want because we'll have our own place to stay.' I'm not sure what to say to this - because yes I probably will appreciate some help the first week back from the hospital, but my Mom living out in our front yard?

Does it make me a bad daughter if that situation scares me? (She doesn't use computers) When I go to visit her in Minnesota it is an all-or-nothing affair, usually. In January Mark and I left for Fargo after one day of visiting, which was unheard of in my family. Usually at least two or three subsequent visits, (morning, night, the next morning etc...) are required at my Mom's house. Even when I get off the phone with her, it is usually 'Will you call me back tomorrow?, or 'Should I call you back tonight after dinner?' She really really misses me. And, because her memory is failing some, we usually go over the same 'new' things several times during a conversation or visit and she will say 'Oh, I didn't know we already talked about that. I forget sometimes.'

So yes, I like to help my mom, and to talk to her, but how do I say 'If you live in the front yard in a Winnebago for a month we might all go nuts' without really hurting her feelings? I'll also have to write her a letter about it... having it on paper makes her remember better and is a reminder when she forgets.

8 comments:

thursday said...

Wow, that does sound a bit scary! I wouldn't want my mother living outside in a winnabago for a month.

I do enjoy reading about your feelings on pregnancy - if I don't comment much, it's mainly because I'm a wee bit jealous of your condition.

And a belated "happy birthday!" 21st is my parents' anniversary (and I'm sure so many others' too!)

stuffed said...

If my mother visited for a month, I'd be on vacation elsewhere. :0)

Got the package. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My Mom took a red-eye flight down when I had Boogie. She was there for the birth and, while I had to stay in the hospital, she took care of everything at home. It was amazing.

Having your mom there will be stressful but I promise that, once you have your own daughter you'll have a much deeper appreciation for what she's all about. Really.

Jennifer said...

Maybe you should suggest that she hook up the Winne at a local place that's not literally in your front yard? Then you'd have some space.

Lynn said...

Well it may not be as bad as you think. I am sure your Mom has also thought that if she thinks you need a few days space, she can just pick up and go for a little tour.

It is difficult to think you won't be able to handle it all, but coming from one who had NO help with my two sons as newborns, I say take all the help you can get.
It is really nice to have help with laundry and cooking for the first two weeks. Gives you two more time to be parents and rest.
The hardest thing is to get a shower. It is so nice to have someone there to watch the baby while you have a shower and lay down for a 1/2 hour.

Chris said...

Belated happy birthday!

Oh yikes about your mom... :( I think you really will appreciate her help for the first week maybe, but dang...

mrspao said...

I imagine she will be so wrapped up in her grandchild that you may even be secondary (you can but hope, hmm?)

Carrie K said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

I agree that you'll probably be hecka happy for all the help at first - it's pretty overwhelming (from what I hear - no first hand knowledge). You might want to hold off on the Please Go Home bit until you really want/need her to go home. I dunno. It's hard to tell if it's going to hurt their feelings if you say anything before they get there or if you wait.