Monday, January 25, 2010

some 26.5 month updates

It's not nearly time for another update - but Esme has spurted a little lately and I don't want to forget when these happened.

Her new favorite words are 'cute' and 'heavy'. She's got a weird identification for 'cute' - but she is using 'heavy' correctly. I've heard her say 'my chair' and 'my cup'. She likes the words 'clock' and 'watch' and will find the watch card in her memory game and try to 'count' the numbers on the face (which aren't there in the picture... kind of odd). She found an old watch that still has it's indiglo nightlight working - and she knows how to push the button to turn it on. I've heard her call me Mama sometimes, usually when I'm not in close enough range and/or eyesight to see her signals or be grabbed by the pantsleg. But, she calls me Daddy sometimes too when I'm in close range 'Daddy hold this.' etc etc...

We've been having some "deep" conversations about things. I think she understands much more now than just a few months ago. I tried to tell her I went in the truck to town the other day to go to work - and that at work people come in who don't have bathtubs. Mama helps them get bathtubs to take back to their houses and then they put the bathtub in their bathroom and they take baths in them. She listened hard - not sure how much she understood but her expression was thoughtful and she didn't try to change the subject.

I've seen her 'counting' with her fingers much more, numbers on machines we have around the house, on clocks, layers on our dehydrator machine, blocks stacked up and also sometimes counting by the 'cup' 'cup' 'cup' or 'doggie doggie' method where she just says the word the number of times. She knows several of her colors now and will say it sometimes as she hands you the right one.

The other night we were watching the episode of the Muppet Show where all the characters get copied into Pig form and are locked up while their Pig counterparts are running the show. During the 'Veterinarians Hospital' where there is usually Rolf the dog in the middle of Miss Piggy and Janice there was a pig doctor. Esme looks up from her playing and says 'Where's the Doggie?' and said it a few times before she said 'It's a PIG.' That was funny! We were playing memory game later. She can match the pictures but doesn't like to play the game the way it is 'supposed' to be played. She kept handing me cards to put on her belly and say what they were - then she would pick them up, look, and go 'mmm hmmm..' and throw it aside. I decided to tell her the dragon was a doggie - just to see what she would do. She looked at the dragon, looked at me oddly, turned over the card, looked at me again and said 'Where doggie??' She was mad - and I told her I was joking. Can't pull the wool over her eyes ;)

Some of her other favorite things to do are to throw her blocks all out of a box, or stack them all up while playing with me. Then she balances a cup on the top of it and pretends to take a sip out of the cup. Not sure where this came from. She made a lego form that looked like a rectangle with a long tower in the middle of it - and told me that it was a drink cup.

Also, much more attached to her Mr.Frog - she carries him, throws him, fights with him when she's mad about going to bed... even gives him 'drinks' from her cup if I ask if he is thirsty.

At the moment I am being handed the play money I printed out for her a long time ago and being told the numbers. haha and she found the old wallet we bought her for her 2 year birthday and wants me to put the money in it. Now she brings me her jacket and says 'outside.' I told her we'll go buy groceries tomorrow at the snap-snap :)

No comments: