Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A basket made from sisal twine

I've really been enjoying trying new fibers and trying my hand at basketmaking, as well - for use around our house and for the experience of making them.  Last week I picked up some sisal twine at the store - and with a medium large crochet hook and some downtime - I made this.  Each side was made flat and then it was all sewn together with very strong cotton crochet thread - then the handles were crocheted on with the yellow cotton yarn.  I have ideas for making another one with less sewing... but more shape to worry about as I go along... The material was very tough on my wrist initially.. but the results were worth it.   And - it only took one 525 yard ball of twine, which cost about a dollar... which is kind of amazing.

No comments: