Thursday, August 25, 2011

Seeds of 2011



From Left to right, top to bottom: Fordhook lima beans, Connecticut Field pumpkins, Provider green snap bean, unknown cranberry type bean, Purple hulled pink eyed peas, Pinto beans, Mississippi silver crowder peas

This was a set of seeds I gave to a friend to spread the varieties a little bit. All of these seeds came off of plants that grew in our garden in 2011, and were a small (very small, agreed) sample of what I've saved for replanting next year. There are more to come, but this was what I collected this morning from what is drying in the basement.

And I have to let you in on a little secret, that might explain how very plant nerdy I seem to have become overnight. I've been a plant nerd for a long time, but it has been dormant for a while. My first job when I was fourteen was at the University of Minnesota Experiment station in Grand Rapids, MN. I worked there for several years, and got doses of greenhouse operations, plant nerdiness, work ethic and sunburn. I spent the summers at the station and the rest of the year managing the high school greenhouse. Cataloging varieties, separating them and noting differences is all wrapped up in those experiences. I do like coming back to it on a personal scale. What is more, there is now the 'legacy' aspect, as well. These seeds will become more and more tied to the ground I plant them in - changing to fit the environment and multiplying to provide for us and to share with others.

Also, the Sandhill Preservation genetic diversity heirloom catalog came in the mail the other day. I have been breaking sunbeam like smiles learning about new varieites that are available and thinking about next year's 'production'!


No comments: