Tuesday, March 05, 2024

old school social media and the production philosopher

a fasciated daffodil from my garden

My production philosopher or 'inner critic' is on to me about what to make with what time I have.  This morning only makes it a bit more crystallized.

 Well we just got back from a trip to the flea market and Facebook is down today and having quite the issue trying to get back up.  I'm sitting here poking and saying well - what other internet things that I used to always use are still up?  Etsy?  Yes.  Here?  Yes.  Duolingo?  Yes.  So, not the end of the digital world.  Ha.  Anyway.  Although, there are some that I do consider friends out there that no, I really can't find a way to get in touch without social media because I don't even have their email or phone number and the few I have an address for (from sending them an art-or-craft, or exchanging seeds or etc.)  a letter would take a very long time to get there.  The digital world has changed the way we think about some things.  

(note - 47 minutes acc. to the news it was down, and yes that was enough that I noticed the tail-end of it, and I was out and about doing things early this morning)

I look at the projects in progress in my workshop, and think about the heirloom farm and all of the things we cook and make, raise and grow... oh yes there is plenty to do around here.  I don't always want to do it.  Go do some laundry and some dishes, make some coffee and a pasta dish and let a dog in from the rain etc etc...

 Like, also, I will draw a very nice picture of a toy I'd like to knit, with colors and details, but I very often will not do it.  There was a time I would - but now I know my hands are going to take a very long time to make that thing that took two minutes to draw.  I think about mittens - which I make for myself and use very much in the winter - even they could be easy to sell if I made them ahead of time and put them away, even if they were only 'my size'... and again, I know it takes a longer time to make and finish them and more attention to do it than it does to start it.      

And then I wonder what use will come of it, or if I will be able to keep it in good condition until someone would want to buy it.  And I think about tucking it away in tissue paper in a box and waiting for that day I would get to the gallery or a show or a flea market stand and try to sell it.. and it is like putting time (and money, investment in the yarn) in a bottle that I haven't spent that time yet (but stash yarn, maybe I did spend the money.. do I want to 'tie it up' in that?)  and I don't know if I want to, just to put in the bottle -- compared to a washcloth or scarf or something simple, easy to pick up and put down, and I know I'll use it. I do have stash yarn - and I've been using mostly that the past few years, with a skein or two maybe of cotton bought for specific projects etc.. 



I've been trying to sort myself out on this.  Time, money, purpose.  The philosopher in me won't stop thinking and sometimes it gets in the way of the production, pondering too long on the whys and ifs and what.  Can you also tell I was reading an article today on the 'Terrible knitters of Dent'?  Those people learned to knit nearly all their waking hours, even one-handed while they were doing something else, in order to sell their socks, mittens and other things to other people.  It sounds bleak, talented, interesting and fatiguee (tiring) all at the same time.

I also saw a lady who had kept a 'flax dowry' of 120 years, it had been her mother's and then passed on to her, and she had kept it all her life and not used it - and it was still good fiber being passed on to other people to finally make something of it.  More for the philosopher in me to chew about industry, time and purpose.

At least, in a way, I carry my languages around with me as a treasure box that does not need to be kept in tissue paper.  I'm thinking on some things I heard someone say at the flea market, as well, that I could not immediately translate.  It's not something others would think twice about, and I forgot everything else that person was saying that was translatable like I would almost any other 'by the by' conversation that wasn't important .. but the non-translated phrases echoed for me to go look that up etc.

 


zucchini, kale, angel hair, parmesan seasoning mix from a bag, tomato, little bit of jalapeno jack cheese crumbled up

I guess I have a pasta dish to go and make.  I was thinking angel hair pasta with some parmesan and black pepper and kale or zucchini from the freezer.  I saw a picture (on a yarn site, actually HA) that had a plate of pasta with pesto in it for a description of a yarn color.  And now, for some reason, I think 'hey, if I'm the only one eating that would be a nice quick little dish'.



Minion, our fifteen year old tortoiseshell cat


No comments: