Saturday, September 14, 2013

book bits

Mark caught this picture of me using Esme's crayons and markers to make her another book.

Our 'Mama wrote it' library is getting bigger.. and Esme's reading skills are getting quite good.  She read a lot of words while we were out today, and a never-seen-before very short book that we got in the mail 'This is Biscuit' without any help at all.  It is part of a phonics set for her.  More impressive, she read the words to the book I wrote in her notebook and got most of them - 'The Dinosaur and the Flashlight' contains many more words I didn't think she had a good grasp on yet, and 'look-alike' words, which she has trouble with.  ie: 'ever', 'every', 'anybody', 'another', 'other', etc... 

She told my boss today that she got to read 'The Rat and the Rhinoceros' to her class one day... I'm not sure if she really did.  But if she does get to read them, I will send them.  

We had a BIG day out on the town today, lots to process... and she made plans for what to make for a birthday gift for her friend next weekend.  I made it tonight and put it away.  I think it turned out really cute and I'll probably take pictures and post but I don't want to spoil the surprise for the other girl's family by posting anywhere else.

Will have to take pictures and post the 'Rat' books, too.. the Dinosaur story is also roundabout way about 'Ratty'...  eventually we'll have a set big enough to do something more with.  I read a book called 'The Animal Family' by Randall Jarrell while at the library and checked out 'The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate', which is a Newberry Award winner.  I think, when she is ready for it, it will be an excellent read for a developing scientist's mind :)

No comments: