Friday, May 10, 2013

Library, rain and leftover corn

We went in the rain to the library today, on Esme's request.  She was very happy to be there and to play.  They have so many toy animal characters from the books that are available to play with.  She had made the rounds, read a book with me, done some JumpStart with her headphones on...  we were almost ready really to go, when a mother with six children arrrived, all ages.

Esme was excited, and ran all over the entire room with the youngest two until she fell over.  We had two pull-aside talks about running, and I finally asked her to read with the big girls who were sitting nicely.  She said they were bad, but did not tell me why.  I told her they were big like the girls she will go to school with in July, and she should go learn to do like they are.  Esme could not do this - she was mad... she told me their talking hurt her ears and she did not want to be by the talking.  The toddlers she was playing with were running, shrieking, talking etc...but she did not seem to mind that.  The girls were reading in a monotone voice, back and forth - and that put Esme over the edge.  She went to a corner and hid under a table for a while with her hands over her ears, until they were done and went to a computer.  Then she came back out and played with the younger children again until they nearly knocked the older girls out of their rocker chairs and got them very mad at her.  Esme didn't seem to think they were doing anything wrong, and stalked away again angry.  I do worry what that kind of attitude will bring when she does go to school... but what do I do?  I understand some of it, and the rest I just have to hope she will eventually work out.

She did very well reading her own book with me, and when the girls came back to read again I found a beautifully illustrated Rapunzel and asked her to read that with me over by the corner.  We did, and then she leaned in very close to me 'They're back - can we go now?'.  OK.  We went to the store, and drove home in the rain, which was very hard and there was some water over the road - which was scary for both of us actually.  She did a good job at the store and has been polite and happy since we've been home.  The rain is stopping, and the sun is coming out.  I have a jacket and a pair of pants cut out to sew for Esme and I may do that while she watches TV with Daddy for a bit here.

 Playing in the mud after the rain


 We were out by the west field, where we had planted the corn experiments last year - and this one had been forgotten and was sprouting.  We will keep it and see how it grows.  Esme cut her hand outside and hadn't told me until after I had already went inside ... we washed it up with many tears and bandaged it - not too deep, but she had rubbed mud all over inside it.  She had some ice cream just after the bath and talked me into stringing my loom.  Now she is watching Simpsons while waiting for a real dinner (Fish sticks in the oven now).

No comments: