Saturday, December 08, 2007

Esme and the dog / cat crew


Spot


Mrs.Pao: I think Esme really likes and can recognize Spot the Great Dane. I think this is because he actually stops and waits for her to notice him when he is coming to take a look at her - then gives us the biggest clownish grin and 'laughs'. It's the dog equivalent of going 'goo-goo-gaa' at a new baby and making funny faces. He is a very gentle giant, and often asks us for permission before he approaches - which is both sweet and amusing to watch. I'm very grateful he sets a good example for the others.

Esme actually sees him now and I think recognizes him as another 'person.' The other day I was bringing her in the door in her car seat carrier, and Spot came to meet us. He gently sniffed her and Esme made that same happy 'Ah' noise I was talking about earlier, but to the dog, and started to wave her arms.

Esme doesn't know the cats very well -- Pogo keeps wanting to tell me she can sit right next to her and be 'safe' but I'm not ready for that and have told her to hold off. The other day Esme was waving her arms and legs on the bed and Pogo was asleep nearby. I was sitting right there watching them both and Pogo got nudged by a baby foot. She let it happen a few times then very gently nudged back -- but I'm very nervous about even letting her get away with that and tried to tell her Esme was MY baby and she had to not do that.. I'm wondering how to deal with her in such a way that she will play nicely with Esme later and not feel like she has been replaced.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

When my kids were babies, I had three cats, and worried about the same thing. I ended up allowing them to be together when I was present. I would close the baby's door when he or she was sleeping. I also made sure to pet and play with my cats a lot while my kid's were in the room and when they weren't. It's a lot of balancing, but the cats always accepted the babies then children and care deeply for them.

mrspao said...

Spot sounds wonderful! Our cat Perdita was fascinated with our neighbours babies and used to climb in the window and sleep in the cots with them. When they were older, she used to lead them round the garden letting them get closer then running a little way. Perdita was probably around 5 then and had her own kittens. I don't know if that makes a difference.

It'll be interesting to see how she gets on with Pogo! :)

Anonymous said...

I think having had kittens or been around another cat raising kittens helps a lot. Mouse, our Manx cat, had a litter of her own and watched her mother raise two litters besides hers. We initially had words about the bassinet when it was empty, but the moment she found the baby in there she has not touched it since. She has twice come up to me while I'm holding the baby, sniffed her gently and given me a loud AUDIBLE purr of approval. She doesn't lay next to the baby or approach me until I acknowledge her, just like Spot.

thursday said...

I'm a little worried about cats accepting babies, too. Tyger can be a bit rough...

I hope things work out and Esme and the cats love each other! I love hearing that Esme is doing so well - very cute about Spot, too.

How is Elizabeth doing? Any updates?

RheLynn said...

Thursday: Elizabeth still hasn't gained enough weight to leave the hospital incubator - but she is doing well. Her mommy and daddy miss her a lot and say she has changed so much in the time they had to be away (the hospital is 90 mi from their home). My SIL is still quite 'uncomfortable' from the surgery and related issues.

My mom has pictures she is going to send - she says 'Beth' looks like Esme in a way but we'll have to wait to see how :)

Jeanne said...

Spot sounds like quite the polite young man.!

Rhiannon said...

I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if you were using the diapers you previously made? Do you also use disposable? How is it working for you??

I am trying to make some decisions about what I am going to use and want to know how it's been going for you.

Thanks.

Carrie K said...

But Pogo is your baby too. I'm sure they'll work it out. Siblings have to.