Monday, March 02, 2009

Day one weaning off the pacifier

We got through day one with Esme only having her pacifier while she was in her crib. She kept signing for it - putting her open hand against her mouth and going pffft while staring insistently at us. I had to drag a lot more stuff out of her mouth than usual - she wanted something anything as a replacement. She was upset at us if we ignored the sign but was easy to distract to something else until it started nearing bedtime. The moment she got in the crib at night she went to sleep within two minutes of grabbing it.

This morning we went to town and I let her have it in the car, but as soon as we were in the door at home it went up again. We'll see how the rest of today goes.

Update: It took several tries to finally wean little girl to only having her pacifier in her crib. I tried to take it away entirely - but she wailed all night long, over five hours. So, I gave in for a little while longer. Then, about six months later she intentionally 'lost' it several days in a row. I found it each day. But one night I just didn't give it back after I found it. She cried a LOT, but not as much as she did during this first phase. She went completely pacifier-free and we just continue to hope she doesn't see one and remember it anytime before she is old enough to understand why she doesn't have that anymore...

2 comments:

thursday said...

I am NOT looking forward to weaning the little dude off of his sucky. Must be done someday...

Anonymous said...

Good for you. We have not tackled this one yet.....