Sunday, January 11, 2009

Working on things with Esme

We tried rolling her ball again today and she got it when Daddy helped. She even kicked it a few times for him. This is hard to do alone with her because she wants to sit in my lap and then she doesn't want to go get the ball when it is rolled... she brought me a book instead of the ball and got upset that it wasn't the right thing. She knows 'find me a book' and 'sit in your chair' and 'where's your milk?' but I'm trying to see how much else she knows. If I ask her something like 'where's the ball' or 'where's your nose' she might give the right answer one out of five times, getting frustrated the rest of the time and not wanting to play.

She is stacking her blocks ever higher, at least seven high now, and in more elaborate formations. We're working on numbers 1, 2, and 3. She learned to twirl in circles the other day and was making us laugh at her with it.

We're working on the new hand puzzle Mark got her. She loves taking it apart and is trying to put it together. It doesn't have one hole for every piece like her other puzzles -- so it is harder. I showed her it was a hand with fingers and she took one of the finger pieces and put it on top of my finger and laughed about it.

I was telling her the zipper on my jacket was a ZZZZZipper a few days ago, and when we got to the Zebra in her animal book she tried to find the zipper on my shirt which wasn't there. She made a sign like going up and down and pointed to my shirt as soon as I said 'zzzzebra' so it dawned on me she was thinking about the zipper. I got the zipper jacket and played some more with her but told her the picture was a ZzzzEBRA, it just sounded like the z in zipper.

She started saying duh for duck and mmmmmuh for milk, both new words for her. She doesn't get the end consonant in either word at all, just makes it more forceful instead of saying the 'k'. Her dah for Dog and duh for Duck and daddy/dadada and 'dat' all sound so much alike you have to know what she is looking at to understand the difference. Kitty is very clear. Mom and mumumum (pacifier) and mmmmmuh (milk) are also run together. I'm starting to think she is trying to say lots of stuff but hasn't learned enough differentation to make us hear it. She puts her fingers in my mouth and on my nose a lot when I'm saying words to her. Yet her hearing is perfect because she dances to music, heard the 'zzzz' in the other word, meows at the cats and howls with the dogs etc...

We went to the library on Saturday and got some more new books :)

No comments: