Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Momma Calico


There are just so many stray cats in our neighborhood, truly - it is a sad sight to see. This little girl has been hanging around a lot lately. Earlier this year, she had three kittens. They've flown the nest. Recently, she has been trying, quietly, to ask me to take care of her, following me within five feet, waiting for me by the door, etc etc..

She even sits on the roof of our truck looking at the back window (maybe Sally and Willow talk to her?) I talk to her too - 'Pretty Girl, you need to find a person to take care of you, and it can't be me...', 'I have two little girls in the house of my own - you look a lot like their momma.' and 'Are your kittens all grown up now?' She cocks her head and gives me the slit-eyes relaxed face, but stays where she is. When I start to go back in the house, she jumps down and follows to keep her 'decided-upon' distance from me.

Today I took the vacuum cleaner outside to change the bag, and she was there watching me. The cord came undone as I was bringing it back in the house. As I started dragging the cord towards me to roll it up, I saw this look in her eye and a little 'oh I see a toy' hop - and then after almost bounding towards me, she stopped and said 'Oh, wait... I'm a big outside cat.'

Then she casually sauntered over (as if, who me?) to the porch there to sit and watch me some more.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's so pretty. I hate to see animals with no home.

Jeanne said...

What a pretty girl. I hate to think of her being out at night, but I guess it's warmer there than here...

Chris said...

Oh, there do seem to be so many poor kitties wandering your area. :(

RheLynn said...

Yes - it's the blessing and the curse of weather that doesn't drop below freezing often, if hardly ever.

Partly a blessing, because some of these beauties find homes off the street. A curse, because many of them that don't (find homes) keep having more kittens that then grow up on the street and replace the ones that did (find homes).

Lynn said...

Oh poor kitty.
I finally got some pics of Candy. Hopefully I will get them up on Thurs.

mrspao said...

Oh I wish I could have her - she's gorgeous! Darn quarantine regulations... they would make her neurotic.

She sounds like she wants to be part of your home!

Kelly said...

so many kitties by you! So sad. I think it is time for a kitty reserve!

Anonymous said...

Poor kitty. And poor RheLynn. It's really hard to say no to them, isn't it? and yet, you can't take care of them all.

thursday said...

I've got five kitties hanging out in my yard...and no idea what i should do to help them... I've already adopted one neighborhood cat (major hassle as I already had three).

Obsidian Kitten said...

what expressions yr girls always have!

mmm, i do so love me some kitties

heehee!